Monday, August 11, 2014

Robin Williams, 1951-2014

It's always a hard road to tread,
as demons tear your mind to shreds.
It's tough to decide
that ending your life
is the best way to escape your head.

Robin Williams, an extraordinarily prolific, extremely talented, occasionally funny actor, listened to his demons. He was found dead of an apparent suicide at his home in California.

I understand what he was fighting. On July 22nd, 2014, I attempted to take my own life. I can now say that I am glad it was an unsuccessful attempt, but the day after I was very angry that I was not dead. It was the darkest time in my life.

Mental illness is something that can affect anyone. It doesn't matter how rich or famous or intelligent or successful or pious you are. It treats people the same way as cancer or any other illness. It's just as insidious and just as deadly, and needs to be treated just as importantly.

My heart aches for his family. I can see now how my suicide would have affected my family, far beyond me just not being there. It is truly sad that he did not get all the help he needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment